Friday, September 7, 2012

I refuse to SINK!

Has anyone ever told you no? Of course. Was it something you felt would make a significant change or was it something you ever felt so passionate about that the word no out of their mouth or written on that paper was the most devastating thing that ever happened to you? If you can say yes, you're right there with me. See when I was in high school I always dreamed of making a difference (which I still do). I loved to help others, felt so important when people came to me for advice, and honored when they took it! I only wanted to help. I knew that one day I wanted to be a therapist but there was so much more I could do to help people, but what? While I felt issues were important I never felt truly emotionally invested in any until my senior year of high school.
My best friend and I had been through the ringer in the past year and realized that it was one of the worst times in our lives. The theme that kept throughout all our hard times was that it was always around self-confidence and self-image. We were sick of all our problems being about how we felt and perceived ourselves. So we decided it was time to stand up and make a change. We noticed that girls all over our school were being sucked into societies version of the perfect body and it wasn't healthy. Yes we believe that it is important to be healthy but not at the cost of being negative to your body and perhaps harming it. We met with people to talk about this new program we wanted to put together for girls in our school to higher their self-steem. We worked so many hours preparing for our proposal and we were finally meeting with them. They starred at the ceiling and then said no. The most crushing thing that had ever happened to me was that no and that was the last word on the subject, no.
Well here I am now and I vowed to myself soon after that day that I would never take no for an answer.  I REFUSE TO SINK! I feel so passionately about women's issues that I want to make it my career. I want to work in educating women about feeling good about themselves and sticking up for themselves. So I am here for you to maybe give some food for thought on an issue that I think most girls and women face some time or another in their life. Remember I am no expert (although one day I hope to be one on women's self-esteem) but I hope that maybe I can give you something to think about on those days when you need a few helping words. I hope you enjoy what I write for you and I hope it makes a difference. Leave me comments and let me know! And remember "Confidence: Wear it like makeup"-unknown.

Keep Calm & Chic Speaks On

No comments:

Post a Comment